The Green Room

Saturday, April 30, 2005

What I learned about friendships

My family had never encouraged me to make friends. So from an early age I had little or no friends. As a child, I never understood the importance of friendship in one's life. My parents never taught me, probably because they don't know either. There was not anybody else who would teach me. So I carried on with the misunderstanding that friends are unimportant.

But recently I learned that friendship is an important part of one's life. What I ought to have learned as a child, I am atleast given a chance to learn now. I thank God for it. Ever since I first began to learn more about friends and friendship, I began to make good friends. And now after making so many friends (I myself am surprised at the number), while at home I'm just worried to death simply because I can't get in touch with many of them. Earlier when I did not have friends, when at home, I simply idle my time away with my computer and TV. Now I can't do that!

I understand that God has greater plans for me than I percieve. Perhaps I'm never to meet the friends I made in Bethany again. Oh well, life will go on. I must try to keep in pace with it and make more friends in the place I would be studying next, wherever it is.

There are a few important things that I learned about friendship. Forgiveness is the key to the box of friends. When I began to forgive every little mistake that was done against me, I began to gain a better place in others' minds. To take time off the busy schedule for my friends is another thing I learned. It's sad but many became my friends only when there were less than three months for the +2 board exams. Yet I took time out of my study schedule just to spend with my friends. Anyone who didn't value friendship would not have done so. And the most important is LOVE. [I'm not talking of BF-GF love, please don't mistake me]. I had never hated any of my friends even for their slightest shortcomings. I had fought violently with one of my friends a long time back (when friends were not so important to me), but I never hated that person even a little bit, even when that person was not my friend. Moreover I love my enemies as much as I love my friends.

One great relief that I have at home is the Internet, where I can get online and chat with my friends. With my closest friend, I went into three hours of chatting, the last one was full of bye's, tossed every now and then, yet never made a reality!

The Internet is a great place just to make friends. I made a few online friends (people whom I never met in person). Some of them asked me to be my friend, by reading my profiles and contacting me through them. Others, I myself contacted.

Friends are something money can't definitely buy. Nor is it free. You'll have to earn it through HARRRD WORRRK. (Remember the German accent?)

4 Comments:

  • ahem!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Apr 30, 10:46:00 AM GMT+5:30  

  • naveen if thats you..leave your name next time!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Apr 30, 11:07:00 AM GMT+5:30  

  • arun..its nice 2 know tht u did realise the importance of frendship.....it really is a life-saver..take it freom me,some1 who has totally depende on her frends in times of dire need.....they have really been my pillars of strength.........gotta mention names here...kris,ur jus 2 awesome 4 words,my bro!!!!....naveen, the best frend a person cld ask 4,thanx 4 everythin...and abhi,my support!!!
    u r a great guy arun...jus give people time 2 get 2 know and appreciate the frend tht u can be!!!
    i know u must be searchin 4 ur handkerchief now!!!

    By Blogger ranjana, at Sat Apr 30, 10:15:00 PM GMT+5:30  

  • that was a nice one
    and i believe its really hard work making new friends and God's grace to have good friends and that when u have one try not to let go especially if its a good friend that will influence u positively.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue May 17, 03:48:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home