The Green Room

Monday, September 05, 2005

THE CALLING

HI all!

Do spare a few minutes to read the poem below and the comment that follows .



In the darkness of the moonlit night,
I see a shadow, loom by the light.
His eyes are pale and his face is dark,
His hands are wrinkled, the sight is stark.

His eyes seem deeper than the greatest ocean,
They have a story to tell,to prompt me to action.
Suddenly, I realize, he is not alone,
There are many like him, he has brought into my home.

Like the great waves of the agitated sea,
The sight of it wont let me be.
My mind starts to travel, far and near,
Thoughts of it , instil in me, a fear.

Although each one has a story to tell,
They stand there quiet, like they were in hell.
They look at me with indifferent eyes,
Not a groan on their lips, no cries or sighs.

And then it strikes me, I understand it all,
These are my people who stand before a fall.
They are being led without a leader,
They need my help and hence they come hither.

My mother is sick and she calls upon her son,
I must go now,for my mother doth beckon.
What a fool am I to let her reach this state,
I am the one to be blamed,not that poor Fate.

If you dont understand what I do say,
Look deep in your heart ,search for that hidden bay.
There will you find her,She'll never cry out loud,
For she is your mother,your motherland so proud.

7 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Venkat, at Mon Sep 05, 05:11:00 PM GMT+5:30  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Venkat, at Tue Sep 06, 05:20:00 PM GMT+5:30  

  • At this point of our lives when we dream of the future that we want, more often than not, we dream of going to a foreign land- of leading a luxurious life with big bungalows and cars and lots of money.In our pursuit of such materialistic pleasures, we fail to hear the True Calling - the call of our motherland to repay what she has offered to us
    throughout these years.And we fail to hear this not because its not loud enough but because we simply dont want to hear it.

    It is our duty to look out for The Calling for Our mother is too proud to stoop down to her own son.

    By Blogger Venkat, at Tue Sep 06, 05:23:00 PM GMT+5:30  

  • Dear Venkat
    You have opened many eyes to the saying "Ask what you can do for your country & not what your country can do for you".I take great pride to know that a mature mind lies behind that smiling demeanour.At every point in our lives we should be aware of the fact that life is a stage and all of us are actors.The only thing that you can leave behind is the impression that you have made on the minds of the hundreds that you have come in contact with.Make a great start by touching the lives of ordinary people around you-A smile, a wish, a word of consolation, a sympathy......anything to see happiness light up the face of at least one person every day.We can then be proud of the fact that we belong to a great family, a great fraternity, a great country.Wishing you the very bestin every thing you do & may God be your guide through the darkest tunnels.
    Hema ma'am

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Sep 07, 06:43:00 PM GMT+5:30  

  • Dear Hema ma'am

    Thanks a lot for those encouraging words.I promise that I will keep what you said ,in mind in everything that I do.

    I am sorry that this is all I can say right now...as I am leaving for Belgaum today.

    With your blessings I have no doubt that very soon ,you will see my name on that website you had mentioned while teaching "Lawley
    Road" (iyer.com .....I think it was.)

    By Blogger Venkat, at Sat Sep 10, 02:57:00 PM GMT+5:30  

  • Hey Venkat!
    Din't know you were leaving..All the best!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Sep 10, 04:11:00 PM GMT+5:30  

  • Hey,

    Thanks a lot and wish you all the best too..

    PS:Iam sorry iam so late in replying,But I couldnt get hold of a computer.

    By Blogger Venkat, at Mon Sep 26, 04:59:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home