The Green Room

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Home sweet home..

Lately on the blog there has been some talk about our country and how if we make a small difference in ourselves it can get amplified as a bigger change in the country. That, I agree is very true. People (including me- the so called 'educated' and the 'common man') do lack common sense at times. But has it ever occurred to you why people leave the country? Why do 'educated' and 'talented' people leave the country? I'll tell you why - just like our dear president these people have dreams too.

I agree, its very right to call India a developed country (even though every two seconds you crack your spine when you drive over a pot-hole). But yes..We ARE developed. We have the n-bomb, we have the n-reactor, we have cities powered by the n-reactor and we also have n number of politicians getting bribed and n number of scandals. Okay fine, you tell me - "Look on the bright side"..and oh I definitely do.

Back to where I was. Why do people want to leave the country and why do a few of them end up leaving the country? Because our country simply cannot support them - the bare truth. But you tell me, "Have you looked at our IITs and Universities, don't they do good research?". I tell you this - half the money for research simply gets lost, another chunk of it is spent repairing equipment that should have been repaired in the previous budget and so on and so forth. Finally there are so many ideas and so little resources to burn those ideas into inventions.

The country as whole and it's 'educated' people (our own relatives, parents, mentors, friends, neighbours, the neighbour's parrot...etc..etc.) over the past few years have drowned themselves in the world of science. People have automatically programmed themselves into believing that life is n-o-t-h-i-n-g without the sciences. Yes partly our understanding of the world can get broader with the sciences but we don't have to live with it! It is NOT the eleventh commandment! Parents encourage (force rather) their children to study science and math. I've even heard people say - everyone should study science and math atleast till class 12. Why I used to think that way too, but I tell you its absolute B.S!!

I blatantly admint, I am in that bunch who would love to leave this country. Because three months out of school and I know where this country can take and nurture my skills - in timbaktu, not even in its own land. But do you think I am not patriotic? I don't think the subject of patriotism even enters this topic. If you really can do something for the country but the country can't do something back for you.....its depressing!!

Does our country encourage the arts? Oh yeah..we have so many art colleges, film schools, animation schools and music schools (some even 'run' by the good ol' govt.). NONSENSE! Have you looked at what they teach??? Only 10% of these schools actually educate people...the others are..you know, the same old story.

This country can't support its scientists and doctors, how in the whole mighty universe is it going to support it's artists? I'm sure a few of you would have read about the rock fest that happens in Mumbai every year - I Rock. It wasn't allowed to happen this year because "this kind of music is not govt. sponsored and it is not right for the gateway of India". Okay yeah, rock music is not from this country - passable. What about those hundreds of classical musicians, are they given a chance? For every ladder you climb, there is someone else to bite your limbs off. And that someone else wouldn't even be as a good as you. Just because they have 'the connections' and 'the money' they buy their way up. In this country do you know what good luck is? This my dear readers - money and connections, the two words of 'success'.

Do you see the pieces falling in place? People leave the country simply because they get no support and recognition here. Imagine having all the talent (being genuinely good at what you are and not Anu Malik) and you end up at an empty wall and a closed door everytime!

Do I expect too much from my country? Am I too "western" influenced? Try to let go of a dream, then I'm sure you'll see the picture. Change my dream? I'm sorry, I can only laugh at that, no I'm not hard hearted nor am I made of stone. I'm just trying to milk this country when its bags are dry...

4 Comments:

  • Hi Varun
    Although you may have a valid point about realizing your dreams....I think that the issue here is not about going abroad to fulfil your dreams but to return back to India and help make it better once you have finished your studies.

    Although the pay over here might be much lesser than in THE USA or the UK, no country can give you the mental satisfaction and freedom that you may have here in India.

    There is a line in a tamil poem which goes like this-

    Swargam sendralum sondha ooru pol sudandhiram varuma?

    Which when roughly translated means-

    "Will you, even in heaven,find such freedom that you enjoy in your own land?"

    My answer to that would be "no"

    By Blogger Venkat, at Mon Sep 26, 04:54:00 PM GMT+5:30  

  • Howdy!
    No I don't talk about the pay - I'm not bothered about it nor to I even think of it (otherwise I wouldnt have typed what I did).
    But my point is..how much ever I do study (wheather in Bombay, Antartica or even UK)I will not recieve a job satisfaction here because 1-quality of work, 2-lack of recognition. Now without these basic things I dont think anyone can be driven to work better (unless you are blessed with an exceptional mind that can go on forever and get better without any response).
    I LOVE this country for what it has - the culture and the people. But when I have seen right before my eyes that it cannot support me...I'm left with nothing else to say.
    If I want I can find all the money I want over here, but I'm interested in something greater.
    Of course, we look at different pictures with the same frame..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Sep 26, 05:08:00 PM GMT+5:30  

  • Yeah,you are probarbly right...we look at different pictures with the same frame..
    But one thing on which I agree with you is what you said about Annu Malik

    By Blogger Venkat, at Thu Sep 29, 07:39:00 PM GMT+5:30  

  • :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Sep 30, 03:11:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home